I might enjoy eating stuffed turkey this time of year, but I certainly don’t want to feel like one. Yet, it’s way too easy to eat too much and exercise too little over the holidays.
To avoid this, try these 10 easy tips for increasing your physical activity during this busy time of year.
- Organize a group walk or touch football game with your friends and family before your holiday feast.
- Wear comfortable shoes or sneakers whenever possible so that you can sneak in added exercise. Consider parking your car further away from your destination or walking to a bus or subway stop farther from your home.
- Plan to walk around the mall a few times before you start your holiday shopping.
- Sign up for a Holiday Fun Run.
- Give your home a good cleaning. You’ll be surprised at how much squatting, lunging and lifting you’ll end up doing.
- If you find yourself short on time, try condensing your workouts. Three 10-minute workouts are just as good as one 30-minute workout, or try out this brief but effective 10-20-30 workout.
- Download a motivating exercise app on your cell phone and work out with it.
- Be creative and flexible with your workouts. If it’s cold outside then work out inside. Buy an exercise DVD or perform body weight exercises, like push-ups, squats and lunges while watching your favorite holiday movie.
- Finally, take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator (unless you happen to work on the 50th floor).